Employee Objects are flexible and can be configured to store information and data that is relevant to your firm. You must be a system Admin to configure custom fields.
For example, if you want to edit any of the fields that appear on the Fields page for an Employee, or create new ones, you can do this within the settings menu.
Note: if you synchronise your employee information with a system like Deltek, you should consult with our Support Team before editing your custom fields.
Creating a Custom Employee Field
Select the Settings icon from the header menu. Then navigate to 'Image Info' > 'Custom Fields'.
You can also enter 'fields' into the search bar and select 'Custom Fields' from the results.
The following page lists out all fields in your system. You can filter on employee fields by selecting 'Employee' from the 'Scope' drop-down menu.
To create a custom field select the 'New Field' button.
In the following menu, you are required to enter a name for the field, and define the 'Scope' and 'Type' of the field. Select 'Employee' within the 'Scope' field.
The 'Type' field allows you to define what type of information the field will contain. You can pick from the following options:
- Single line - this allows users to enter one line of information into a text field. Eg. 'Name', or 'Employee Code'.
- Auto-complete - a text field that will save every new entry and will auto-complete as users type. Eg. 'Office Location', 'Qualification'.
- Fixed Auto-complete - a text field that will auto-complete from a predefined set of options. Eg. 'Job Title' Note: you can switch between these field types so you could initially use Auto-complete as you enter information for the first time, then switch to Fixed Auto-complete to prevent new items being added.
- Drop down menu - users select predefined options from a picklist. Eg. 'Status'.
- Multi line - a text field for longer entries of text. Eg. 'Biography'.
- Date - this field allows users to select a date from a calendar window. Eg. 'Hire date'.
- On/Off Switch - this field is a binary switch. Eg. 'Currently employed'.
When you have entered a name and defined the 'Scope' and 'Type', select 'Create Field'.
On the next menu, you can define additional field settings:
- Description - this appears next to the field and can be used to help your users to input the right information.
- Code - this is not an editable field.
- REST code - this is how the field is referenced by the REST API. There is no need to modify this field.
- Scope - this is the field scope as defined in the previous menu.
- Built-in custom field - this is not an editable field.
- Enabled - this determines whether the field is visible to users in your system.
- Searchable - employee fields are not searchable, so this field should remain unticked.
- Include in info - will make the field visible on the Employee Overview page.
- Allow for field - leave this field unticked.
- Required - checking this makes the field mandatory. A message will appear next to the field if it is left empty.
- Display order - this will change the order in which the field appears on the Employee page relative to others.
- Type - this is the field type as defined in the previous menu.
Employee fields are not searchable, so the 'Searchable' field should remain unticked. 'Include in info' will make the field visible on the Employee Overview page. Selecting 'Required' will make it a mandatory field. Editing the 'Display order' will change the order in which it appears on the Employee page relative to other fields.
When you have finished, select 'Save'.
Users will then be able to enter information into the new field on the Employees page, within the 'Fields' menu.
Editing an existing Employee Field
Filter on employee fields by selecting 'Employee' from the 'Scope' drop-down menu.
Select 'Edit' next to the relevant field. This will take you through to the 'Edit Custom Field' menu, where you can define the field settings.
Disabling an existing Field
To remove a field from your system, select 'Edit' next to the relevant field. In the settings menu, untick the 'Enabled' checkbox then click 'Save'.
The field will remain in your system but will no longer be visible to users.